WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Damages Horse And Rabbit Barn At Greene County 4-H Fairgrounds

Last updated on Saturday, July 6, 2013

(SWITZ CITY) - An observant motorist is being credited with averting major fire damage to a barn at the Greene County Fairgrounds on last Sunday morning.

Lori Brown, President of the 4-H Clubs of Greene County's Council says the person saw the flames and called the sheriff's department.

Fairplay-Grant Fire Department Assistant Chief Bruce Porter says the fire was caused by an electrical problem. Fair volunteer had been working at the fairgrounds Saturday, June 29 and had plugged in a freezer in the barn that is used to keep water bottles for the rabbit project exhibitors during the fair. The freezer had sat idle since last years fair and Porter believes this is what started the fire.

Worthington Fire Territory Department assisted in extinguishing the fire.

Porter says there was structural damage in the horse barn - three trusses and several rafters burnt and two horse stalls were heavily damaged.

There is structural damage -- with three trusses and several rafters burnt. In addition, two horse stalls were heavily damaged. Damage localized to the west side of the horse barn and the east side of the rabbit barn.

Damage was estimated at under $10,000 and 4-H officials have hired a contractor to hurrying to get the needed repairs done before the fair which runs July 12 through July 20.

Porter credited his department and the Worthington firefighters for extinguishing the blaze quickly, keeping it from spreading.

The fire was not the only bad luck fair officials faced during that weekend. Volunteers were rebuilding the arena fence that had been damaged from a storm and crews hit a water line. That too had to be repaired. Officials say they thought they had all the lines marked, but evidently missed one.

Fair officials are just glad crews hit the water line after the fire was extinguished.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page