WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire At AMVETS Post 2000 Caused By Electrical Short

Last updated on Friday, July 26, 2013

(BLOOMINGTON) - According to Bloomington Van Buren Fire Chief Chuck Hill the fire at the AMVETS Post 2000 started after a wire shorted out that ran up a wall behind a cabinet near the bar.

The fire caused extensive damage to the buildings but none of the AMVET employees or patrons was injured. But Hill says five firefighters were sent to the hospital after they suffered from heat exhaustion.

AMVETS Post 2000 Commander Jon Bowman says he is working with the insurance company and a building engineer will determine if the big building is salvageable or if they will need to build two new buildings.

In the meantime, AMVETS members are holding their regular meetings outside on their picnic tables or inside their equipment shed during unfavorable weather.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page