News Sections
Fire At AMVETS Post 2000 Caused By Electrical Short
Updated July 25, 2013 12:59 PM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMINGTON) - According to Bloomington Van Buren Fire Chief Chuck Hill the fire at the AMVETS Post 2000 started after a wire shorted out that ran up a wall behind a cabinet near the bar.

The fire caused extensive damage to the buildings but none of the AMVET employees or patrons was injured. But Hill says five firefighters were sent to the hospital after they suffered from heat exhaustion.

AMVETS Post 2000 Commander Jon Bowman says he is working with the insurance company and a building engineer will determine if the big building is salvageable or if they will need to build two new buildings.

In the meantime, AMVETS members are holding their regular meetings outside on their picnic tables or inside their equipment shed during unfavorable weather.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File