WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Veterinarians Warn About Blue-Green Algae

Last updated on Friday, June 21, 2013

(UNDATED) - Indiana State Veterinarian says Hoosier pet owners need to watch closely for blue-green algae.

Dr. Bret Marsh says the algae is a toxin that pets often ingest while in the water.

It is poison and pet owners should seek medical treatment for pets if it is suspected they have ingested any algae from lakes or ponds.

The poison on can affect the nervous system and liver.

Animals will lick their coats after being in the effected water and contact the algae.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page