News Sections
Three Arrested After Fight
Updated May 9, 2013 5:35 AM | Filed under: Crime
 Print    Archive    RSS
Gary Floyd Coffman.jpg
Gary Floyd Coffman
Clayton Duane Langley.jpg
Clayton Duane Langley
Benjamin Carl Parsley.jpg
Benjamin Carl Parsley

(WORTHINGTON) - Officers from several departments were called to break up a fight in Worthington early last Friday.

24-year-old Gary Coffman and 22-year-old Benjamin Parsley, both of Worthington were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct. Police also requested Monday, charges of public intoxicated, disorderly conduct and intimidation be filed against 22-year-old Clayton Langley, of Clay City.

Police were alerted to the fight around 3 a.m. Friday after a call reporting an unresponsive man laying in the road at Park and Meridian streets.

Worthington Deputy Marshal Randy Raney say police from Worthington, Bloomfield and Lyons went to the area. There they arrested Coffman and Parsley. Langley kept being aggressive wanting to know why the two men were being arrested. Langley was asked by police to go back inside a home and refused.

After 4 warnings, Langley continued to yell and curse at officers and that is when he was arrested.

Once at the jail, Langley allegedly continued to be belligerent and threatened officers with bodily harm. Langley was placed in a restraint chair.

According to the affidavit, while Langley was being placed in a cell, still in the restraint chair, he threw his head to the side and hit a metal door post.

Langley was also arrested about a month earlier east of Bloomfield after a resident who lives on State Road 54 called police because a suspicious person was banging on his door.

Not far away from the residence, officers had already found a pickup truck in a water and mud-filled ditch on J. L. Wilson Road.

In that case, Langley was charged with intimidation involving a threat communicated to a law enforcement officer -- a class D felony, pubic intoxication -- a class B misdemeanor, and criminal trespass -- a class A misdemeanor.

A public defender was appointed to represent Langley and paperwork was filed indicating Langley intended to change to a "guilty" plea on at least one of the criminal counts.

Under the terms of a negotiated plea agreement, if accepted by the court, Langley would enter a guilty plea to trespass and the other two counts would be dismissed. Langley would be fined $35 plus court costs and be sentenced to one year in the county jail with all of it suspended except for six days. He'd be given credit for days already served. Then he'd serve that suspended time, 359 days, on probation under several terms and conditions including that he undergo an evaluation for substance abuse and that he complete any treatment necessary.

A date was set for a hearing on his change of plea -- May 1. But he failed to show up. His attorney requested a continuance which was granted, and the hearing was reset for May 22.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File