WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Mitchell Firefighters Battle Blaze At Wesleyan Church

Last updated on Wednesday, May 15, 2013

(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Volunteer Firefighters were called to a fire at the Wesleyn Church on West Frank Street Tuesday afternoon.

When firefighters arrived at 3:08 p.m. there was smoke coming out of the youth center. The fire was extinguished quickly.

Fire Chief Tyler Duncan says the fire was caused by an electrical short in an extension cord inside the pole barn structure that is used as the youth center.

"But we had a second fire on top of a Duke Energy pole across the street," Duncan added. "We believe the two fires are not related, but the state fire marshal will be here this morning to take a look at it."

Duncan says he believes the fire on the utility pole was caused by a squirrel.

"There is no evidence that the squirrel caused the fire at the youth center," Duncan added.

Duncan says there was heat and smoke damage inside the youth center.

"The intense heat stayed up high and I believe they will be able to salvage most of the items in the building, " Duncan added.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page