News Sections
Mitchell Firefighters Battle Blaze At Wesleyan Church
Updated May 15, 2013 8:28 AM | Filed under: Fire
 Print    Archive    RSS

(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Volunteer Firefighters were called to a fire at the Wesleyn Church on West Frank Street Tuesday afternoon.

When firefighters arrived at 3:08 p.m. there was smoke coming out of the youth center. The fire was extinguished quickly.

Fire Chief Tyler Duncan says the fire was caused by an electrical short in an extension cord inside the pole barn structure that is used as the youth center.

"But we had a second fire on top of a Duke Energy pole across the street," Duncan added. "We believe the two fires are not related, but the state fire marshal will be here this morning to take a look at it."

Duncan says he believes the fire on the utility pole was caused by a squirrel.

"There is no evidence that the squirrel caused the fire at the youth center," Duncan added.

Duncan says there was heat and smoke damage inside the youth center.

"The intense heat stayed up high and I believe they will be able to salvage most of the items in the building, " Duncan added.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File