WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Man Accused Of Dealing Drug That Killed Mitchell Man

Last updated on Tuesday, May 21, 2013

(BEDFORD) - A Lawrence County Jury will begin hearing testimony today in Lawrence County Superior Court I in a case involving a Mitchell man accused giving a man heroin who later died.

42-year-old Michael Dustin Moore was arrested after the death of 43-year-old William Alan "Tiger" Naper in July 2010. He was charged with dealing in a schedule II controlled substance.

Naper died from a heroin overdose.

Moore and Gerald Pickett were both arrested in July 1 of that year, but Pickett died July 24 without ever going to trial.

According to a probable cause affidavit Moore, Pickett, Napier, Krisy Byers and Dayna Sorrells were together at the former Jack's bar in Mitchell the night of Napier's death.

All five, returned to Sorrells' house for a few drinks. Neither Sorrells nor Byers saw anyone inject Napier with a syringe. But Byers, told police that Pickett "put what they called heroin or powder in a spoon, and Dustin Moore shot Alan with it."

The four then went back to the bar and left Napier at the house, even though he was aving trouble breathing.

When Sorrells returned from the bar, she "noticed Alan was the wrong color and called 911.Napier was taken to Dunn Memorial Hospital, where he died.

Moore "admitted that, while at Dayna's house, Gerald loaded the syringe with the dope from Gerald's pack and heated it up with a spoon.

Dustin told police he told Gerald 'don't give him much,' to which Gerald replied, 'if he's going to do it, do it right or a good one or all of it, or something like that.'

Dustin then gave Alan the shot, which contained about an inch and a half or 2 inches of liquid.

Dustin told police after Alan took the shot, he sat in the chair for a few minutes and then collapsed - kind of falling out of the chair. Dustin told police he was worried about Alan and got him a wash cloth. Someone checked Alan's pulse, and they put Alan on a cot and propped him up and Alan was snoring."

Pickett told police he didn't know what happened to Napier. Gerald told officers that when he left Dayna's house, Alan was still alive and sitting at the table drinking Smirnoff from a blue bottle.

Moore is being represented by Lorinda Youngcourt of the Lawrence County Public Defender's office. If convicted of the Class B felony, Moore faces six to 20 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page