(UNDATED) - On July 10, 2001, Sergeant Dan R. Starnes of the Morgan County Sheriff's Department lost his life as a result of gunshot wounds sustained during a line of duty gun battle with a burglary suspect four weeks earlier.
To keep his memory alive his surviving spouse, Janice organized the Sgt. Dan R. Starnes Memorial Blood Drive in Morgan County later that year and has organized a blood drive each year since in Dan's memory.
In 2007, she decided to take the blood drive statewide and renamed it the Indiana Fallen Officers Blood Drive. This month the 2013 drive begins with donation sites located in nearly every county statewide.
Indiana Blood Facts:
- 1,000 units of blood are needed daily in Indiana
- Each unit of blood donated helps in three different ways:
- Red Cells
The Bloomington District is comprised of the following 6 southern Indiana counties: Monroe, Morgan, Brown, Owen, Lawrence and Greene. Listed below are dates, times, and locations for the blood drives within the Bloomington District.
County Date Time Location
- Greene / June 4, 2013 Greene Co Sheriff Dept/204 County Rd 70 E/Bloomfield / 4-7pm
- Lawrence / June 19, 2013 Bedford Fire Dept /Training Room / Bedford/ 2-6pm
- Monroe / June 11, 2013 IU Police Department, 1469 E 17th St., Bloomington, 3:30-7:30pm
- Monroe / June 11, 2013 Showers Bldg, 401 N Morton, Bloomington, 9-2pm
- Morgan / June 11, 2013 St Martins Catholic Church, 1720 E Harrison, Martinsville, 1:30-6:30pm
- Morgan / July 10, 2013 Mooresvile Public Library, 220 W Harrison, Mooresville, 1:30-6:30pm
- Morgan July 10, 2013 Mooresvile Public Library, 220 W Harrison, Mooresville, 1:30-6:30pm
- Owen / June 8, 2013 Owen Co Courthouse, Spencer, 11-4pm
Year-round blood donations focus of World Blood Donor Day
No matter the season, the need for blood is constant. Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs a transfusion, and around 44,000 pints of blood must be donated every day to meet that need.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com