(SPRINGVILLE) - Bed races are returning to the Springville Heritage Festival June 20-22.
The festival proceeds benefit Springville Community Park and Perry Township Volunteer Fire Department.
Organizer Denny Godsey said the idea to bring back the bed races started when a few people dug out old video from those festivals. The races drew big crowds in the 1980s.
Godsey said 10 entries are needed to hold the race. Entries must adhere to contest rules, found at www.springvilleindiana.com.
Video footage of old festivals has been placed on DVD and will be for sale during the festival.
Other activities include a kiss the pig contest. Candidates include: Max and Sherry Shelton, Layne Reynolds, Dee Kinman and Denny Godsey.
Winner will be determined by a penny a vote with donation cans located around town.
Gospel and bluegrass music is a festival mainstay and there will also be concessions, a baby contest, 5K race and cruise-in.
The annual parade will be June 22 at 2 p.m. The finals of the bed race will follow at 4 p.m.
On June 15, there will be a golf scramble at Hidden Hills Golf Course, call Melissa Matson (583-2033) for details.
Volunteers recently finished painting the inside of the Springville gym, including the bathrooms and bleachers.
"Lowe's and Valspar donated the paint, we encourage people to come to Springville and see for themselves," he said.
Schedule, contact information
(all activities start at 6 p.m.)
- Pickin Pearls and Bar Benders perform
- Baby contest (Sandra Huff, 797-4976)
- Silent auction
- Cub Scout activities
- Kiss the pig voting (Julia Reynolds, 279-1967)
(music starts at 6:30 p.m.; other events at 6 p.m.)
- Cruise-in (Mark Baker, 797-2263)
- Cobbler's bench (Pam Voorhies, 278-0744)
- Silent auction (Tammy Holland, 863-4843)
- Flea market (Mark Baker, 797-2263)
- Baby contest
- Cub Scout activities
- Art show at the Brick Shop
- Kiss the pig voting
- 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m. 5K registration
- 8 a.m. 5K Mag 7 start. (Denny Godsey, 275-4683).
- 10 a.m. 3-on-3 basketball (Sam Martin, 278-6156)
- 11 a.m. Bed race qualifications
- 1 p.m. Parade lineup (Jenny Thompson, 279-5119)
- 2 p.m. Parade
- 2:30 p.m. Silent auction ends
- 4 p.m. Bed race finals
- 6 p.m. Kiss the pig ends
- 9 p.m. Old videos of past festivals
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org