Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Monday, April 15, 2013
(BEDFORD) - Bedford resident Kathy Voigtschild had finished the Boston Marathon about 20 minutes before the bombs exploded killing two and injuring at least 100 others.
Kathy and her husband Brent and their five children are all safe.
"It was pretty scary for us when we heard there was an explosion and not knowing where Kathy, Brent and the kids were," says Sherry Voigtschild, Kathy's mother-in-law. "We were just terrified. Then Brent called us."
Kathy finished the race in three hours and 42 minutes. Brent and the kids were not at the finish line when the bombs went off.
"She crossed the finish line at 2:15 pm and shortly after the bombs went off," Sherry says. "Brent and the kids had taken the underground railroad and were not near the finish line."
Sherry says the family is staying in a hotel about two blocks from the finish line.
"They were going to start back home in the morning, but now their hotel is on lock-down and no one is entering or leaving the buildings," Sherry says. "Hopefully by morning they will get to head home. If they get to leave they will be home late Wednesday evening."
Two people were killed and over 100 were injured in two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, according to the Boston Police Department. Police say they do not have anyone in custody in connection with the incident.
The explosions, which occurred a little after 3 pm, were described as large blasts and appeared to occur somewhere in the crowd on the sidewalk, not in the street. They were about twenty seconds apart.
Smoke filled the air of Boylston Street after the explosions. Pictures from the scene by eyewitnesses show victims with parts of their legs missing being wheeled from the scene.
More than 100 people were treated at local hospitals for injuries ranging from minor to critical.
The explosions occurred at a midway point of the race. About half of the runners had already finished. But the streets were still lined with thousands of people.
JFK Library fire not connected
A third incident at JFK Library, which is located several miles away from the scene of the initial explosions, was confirmed by the Boston Police commissioner at a news conference just before 5:00 pm. However, that later turned out to be an unrelated fire.
If you are trying to get in touch with a friend or family member in Boston, call 617-635-4500.
If you have a tip related to the investigation, call 1-800-494-TIPS.
You can also check here. (Red Cross safe and well) or here (Google people finder).
Explosive devices dismantled
Three separate law enforcement agencies are looking into whether the blasts were caused by improvised explosive devices placed near a building or trash can.
An intelligence official says two additional explosive devices were discovered and are being dismantled.
It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.
The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.
People who fled the scene in panic dropped their belongings. Police say every bag and parcel is being treated as a suspicious device.
Covered in blood
People at the site of the blasts were reported as being "covered in blood" and one report indicated one person had lost their legs. Video that shows one of the explosions reveals a runner falling down at the moment of the blast.
Other pictures shared on Twitter showed victims with lacerations and other injuries. There was at least one young child among the injured.
Windows and doors near the scene were blown out from the force of the blast. A metal barricade also came down.
Thousands of people were evacuated from the scene, which is near Copley Place in Boston's Back Bay. Participants who hadn't finished the race at that point were being directed off course.
The marathon's headquarters are on lockdown. Green Line Service between Kenmore and Park Street Stations has been suspended, according to the MBTA.
Boston EMS and Fire were already on duty as part of marathon preparations, and the explosion occurred not far from a medical tent designed to treat runners during the marathon.
Obama: Those responsible will be held accountable
President Barack Obama, responding to the explosions at the Boston Marathon, says the United States does not know "who did this or why" but vowed that whoever is responsible "will feel the full weight of justice."
He said: "We will find out who did this and we will hold them accountable."
Obama made his remarks Monday evening from the White House about three hours after two explosions detonated near the marathon's finish line. At least two people were killed and 50 injured in the blasts.
Obama has been in touch with federal law enforcement and Massachusetts officials in the aftermath of the explosions.
The Secret Service reacted cautiously to the blasts, expanding the security perimeter around the White House.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page