(UNDATED) - With the 2013 spring turkey season approaching, Indiana Conservation Officers want to remind Hoosier Hunters to be safe before heading out to into the field.
Practicing these safety Tips will help to ensure a safe season.
- Never wear turkey colors while in the woods - red, white, and blue.
- Don't shoot until you identify your target and sex of the bird.
- Never stalk a turkey - call the bird to you.
- Always assume a turkey call or footsteps you hear are from another hunter - not a bird.
- Carry decoys in a bag so they are not visible while you are moving though the woods.
Reminder of some of the spring turkey laws:
- Each licensed hunter is allowed one bearded or male turkey.
- Hunting hours - ½ hour before sunrise until legal sunset
- A spring turkey license and game bird habitat stamp are required to hunt turkey.
- Baiting (placing food) for turkeys in illegal.
- Fill out your temporary transportation tag immediately upon harvesting it.
- The turkey must be checked in within 48 hours of the harvest via the Check-In Game Internet System or at an Official Check Station.
The spring hunting season 2013 is from April 24th through May 12th. The youth season is April 20 and 21 for hunters 17 and younger.
To report any violation or concerns please contact:
- Turn in a Poacher Hotline @ 1-800-TIP-IDNR
- On-line @ www.1800TIPIDNR.com
- 24 Hour Dispatch Center @ (812) 837-9536
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com