(MITCHELL) - Volunteer Firefighters from Marion, Orange County Rural District 2 and Huron extinguished a trailer fire Monday night.
Firefighters were called to the blaze just before 7 pm.
"Flames and smoke were shooting out of the roof," says Gary Rayhill, who was at his son's house across from the burning trailer. "We then got on the phone and called for help. The firefighters were here quick and went right at putting the fire out."
The single-wide mobile home at 1560 State Road 60 East is owned by Mariah Cox and who lives there with her fiancee Ryan Roop.
The couple was in Bedford at their son Kamron's Orbit soccer practice when they were notified about the fire.
"We were watching the practice when we got the call," Mariah says. "I was just concerned about my boxer Macy. I told them to knock out the windows and get her out. Whatever they had to do to save my dog"
Macy was locked in a dog crate inside the home.
"I only lock the top latch just in case something like this would happen," Mariah says. "And because of that she was able to get out of the crate."
Marion Fire Chief Jason Zeeks saved Macy from the trailer.
"I saw she had gotten out of the crate and she had ran into the back bedroom and I was able to flush her out from the closet or under the bed area, not sure where she was hiding," Zeeks says. "Then she took off. I just wanted to keep her from the other end of the trailer where the fire was."
And that was when Macy darted out the front door, which firefighters had propped open.
At about that time Mariah arrived and it didn't take but a slit second for Macy to find her.
"I am just so glad she is all right," Mariah added.
Zeeks says it looks like the fire might have started in the ceiling or roof area of the home.
"It looks like it started up high," he added. "We will not know for sure until we can get in there and take a look."
Zeeks believes the couple will be able to save some of their possessions.
"As for the mobile home there is damage, we will just have to wait and see," he added.
Mariah is hoping to be able to save some items that can not be replaced.
"My parents stuff is inside there," she added. "They have passed and I hope I can save some of their things."
Firefighter Kyle Mundy with Marion VFD
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to email@example.com