News Sections
Homeowner Douses Flames
Updated May 5, 2013 1:10 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(NEEDMORE) - The quick thinking of a homeowner prevented a fire from destroying her home Saturday.

Carolyn Shannon of Sugar Hill Addition dumped flour on a fire in her electric fireplace, dousing the blaze in the process. She then called 911 at 12:16 a.m.

Marshall Volunteer Fire Department Chief Chad Hayes says the fire, which was in a bedroom, was out when firefighters from Marshall and Oolitic VFD arrived.

"We just had to ventilate the home and remove the fireplace from the home," Hayes says. "The only damage was to the fireplace and some smoke damage."

Hayes says Shannon, who was covered in soot suffered smoke inhalation.

"An IU Health ambulance crew checked her out, but she refused medical treatment," Hayes says.

The fire started in the electrical fireplace, but Hayes says it was not due to an electrical problem.

"We know it started in the unit which has a heating element and light bulb inside," Hayes says. "But we determined it was not an electrical issue, but an issue with the unit."

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File