WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Destroys Mitchell Home

Last updated on Thursday, February 14, 2013

(MITCHELL) - A fire destroyed the home of Robert, Alda and Arin McIntosh Wednesday morning.

The family, that lives at 896 Spice Valley Road, was not home when the fire started.

"I was at work when I received a call saying the house was on fire," Alda says. "My husband is in Kentucky, about 6 hours away. My daughter, is in Indianapolis attending classes. Both are on their way home now."

Firefighters from Marion and Shawswick Volunteer Fire Department were called to the blaze after a neighbor saw the fire and called 911.

"We were on station when the call came in," says Marion VFD Chief Jason Zeeks. "It only took us about 5 minutes to get here. It was just too far gone when we arrived. Flames were shooting out of the roof when arrived."

Smoke from the fire could be seen from Ind. 37.

The fire destroyed the log home.

"More than 10,000 gallons of water has been put on the blaze so far," Zeeks says. "The home was fully engulfed in flames."

Zeeks is not sure what started the blaze, but the family did have a woodstove.

"It is going to be pretty hard to pin point the cause with this much damage," Zeeks says. "We will be able to determine the location where the fire started, but at this point until we get the fire out and get in there it is just hard to say what happened."

All that is left standing is some of the exterior walls.

"I wish there could have been more we could have done," Zeeks says. "But it was just too far gone when we arrived."

No one was hurt battling the blaze, but Alda was concerned about the family's two cats.

"They were in the house," she says. "The one - my daughter has had since she was in the first grade. I know they are just cats and I am thankful no one was home or hurt. But they are like family and it is going to be rough being without them."

Firefighters were not sure if the animals escaped the home, but it didn't look good.

"Being trapped inside with all the toxic smoke can claim a life quickly," Zeeks says.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page