Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Tuesday, February 5, 2013
(BEDFORD) - Bedford Firefighters are still on the scene of a house fire at 2520 34th Street.
Firefighters were notified about the blaze at 6:58 p.m. Monday
"When firefighters arrived the home was engulfed in flames and the area had heavy smoke," says Bedford Fire Chief Jon Wagner. "The home had several roofs on it and they were collapsing making this a difficult blaze to extinguish. We were able to hook up to a hydrant at the end of 33rd Street and keep the fire under control. We put a lot of water on that blaze."
Homeowner John Myers was not home when the blaze started.
Myers told firefighters there were flames coming around the flu area of the home when he arrived home. Myers' grandson was also on the scene and told firefighters he saw flames coming from the flu at the roof.
"We are pretty confident that is where the fire started around the flu of a wood burning stove," Wagner says.
Engine 3 was also damage when responding to the blaze.
"The ladders on the side of the truck were knocked off," Wagner says. "We are not sure what the engine hit at this time. But two ladders were tore from the engine. But I am sure it is something that can be fixed."
Wagner says firefighters also had to use foam to help extinguish the blaze.
"We used a foam additive and that helps break down the fire," Wagner says. "This was just a difficult fire to put out. The home was an older home with many layers of roofing. Entry could not be made to battle the blaze because the roof was collapsing and we don't put lives in danger. We just kept it under control and we will have it out this morning."
Wagner says there are still some hot spots this morning and smoke coming from the home that was destroyed in the blaze.
"We will need to get a backhoe in there and move some of the material around to get to the hot spots," Wagner says.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page