WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire Damages Bedford Home - Family Escapes

Last updated on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

(BEDFORD) - Bedford firefighters battled a blaze at a home in the 2400 block of 35th Street late Monday night.

The home is owned by Steve Anderson. Bedford Fire Chief Jon Wagner said Anderson and his parents live there. The family escaped the home after the smoke detectors alerted them to the danger.

Firefighters arrived at the home just before 11:30 p.m. to find smoke coming out of the front of the home, Wagner says.

"Firefighters went inside and found the fire at the back of the house," Wagner says. "There was damage to the outside wall of a laundry room and the fire spread to an upstairs bathroom and was confined to that area."

Wagner believes the fire was sparked because of an electrical problem in a light on the back wall.

Firefighters helped the family get some valuables and some medicine out of the house, Wagner reported.

"We didn't have to ventilate the smoke it did it naturally with the winds," Wagner says.

An ambulance was called to the scene. The woman who lives in the home was taken to a local hospital by a private vehicle.

Wagner says she was just overcome with the situation.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page