Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Thursday, January 3, 2013
(UNDATED) - Vectren Energy Delivery says customers should use caution when removing snow and ice near natural gas meters at their homes or businesses this winter.
Ice and snow accumulation can interfere with gas meter functions and the meters need to be able to release gas in case of malfunction. Snow removal may also threaten the gas meter assembly or piping and result in a leak.
Vectren has given these tips to keep in mind while removing snow:
- Remove large icicles hanging over meter assemblies and appliance vents.
- If a gas meter is near a sidewalk or driveway, make sure whoever removes snow from the property is aware of its location.
- Use a broom, not a shovel; to clear snow from meter assembly and vents.
- If gas meter is encased in ice, do not attempt to melt or chip the ice, as it could cause damage to the meter.
- Do not pile snow around gas meters.
- Consider installing driveway entrance reflectors around gas meters in close proximity to a roadway or driveway.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page