(UNDATED) - The Indiana Department of Transportation announces rising waters have caused the closure of roads in the Vincennes District.
The closures will remain in effect until waters recede.
The following sections of roadway have either been closed or INDOT is advising motorists to use caution around these areas of high water:
* OPEN - State Road 157 from State Road 54 (Bloomfield) to State Road 67 (Worthington)
Knox and Daviess Counties
* OPEN - State Road 58 from State Road 67 (Westphalia) to State Road 57 (Elnora)
State Road 257 from U.S. Route 50 (Washington) to State Road 356 (Otwell)
* OPEN - State Road 358 from State Road 67 (Edwardsport) to State Road 57 (Plainville)
Martin and Lawrence Counties
* State Road 450 from U.S. Route 50 (Shoals) to State Road 37 (Bedford)
* State Road 66 from State Road 70 (Derby) to State Road 161 (Rocky Point)
When encountering a flooded roadway, INDOT urges drivers to turn around and not drive through standing water.
According to the National Weather Service, most flooding deaths occur in automobiles. Six inches of standing water is enough to cause passenger cars to stall and a foot of water will float many vehicles.
For the latest road conditions visit www.trafficwise.in.gov .
For the latest news and information about INDOT, please visit www.in.gov/indot.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org