(LINTON) - A Linton family lost their home in a fire early Saturday morning and a local firefighter suffered smoke inhalation while attempting to extinguish the blaze.
The fire was reported at 2:59 a.m. at the home of "Paco" and Shandra Howell, at 810 F Street North East near 8th Street.
Linton Fire Department Chief Brad Sparks says the fire, which spread quickly, started on the second floor of the two-story home. Wright Township Volunteer Fire Department assisted in battling the blaze.
Chief Sparks says the couple was watching television upstairs and that is when suddenly the TV went off. They found the electrical breaker was flipped. They then smelled smoke and left the house and called 911. The couple escaped with the clothes on their backs.
When firefighters arrived the fire had engulfed the upstairs causing the roof to collapse.
While battling the blaze, former Chief Gary Tannehill, was over come by the smoke. He was taken to the Greene County General Hospital and was treated and released a short time later.
The fire which destroyed the home is under investigation and no cause has been determined. Firefighters were on the scene until after 7 p.m.
The Greene County Chapter of the Red Cross offered assistance to the family and Chief Sparks expressed g\tanks to local businesses and residents who provided water, hot drinks and breakfast foods for the firefighters.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org