(BEDFORD) - Firefighters from three departments battled a blaze that destroyed a home New Year's Day.
"The home was fully engulfed when we arrived on the scene and we made it there pretty quick," says Shawswick Volunteer Fire Department Chief Bobby Brown. "Firefighters from Pleasant Run, Guthrie assisted at the scene. It was going pretty good and spread fast."
The modular home in the 3100 block of Erie Church Road, belonging to Roger and Theresa Martin. Firefighters received the call at 11:30 p.m.
"The home had an enclosed breeze-way and an attached garage," Brown says. "They lost those too and their car that was parked inside that garage."
The couple got out with very little.
Brown is not sure if the couple found their dog.
"We are not sure if he was still in the house or ran off," Brown says. "The couple was asleep when Roger heard a pop and then the smoke detectors started sounding. They got out with just what they had on and Theresa's cell phone. She was the one that called 911."
According to Brown the fire started in the middle of the home.
"The wood stove was the culprit," Brown added. "The stove was in the mid-section of the home and the fire started there, traveled up the wall behind the wood stove and spread from there."
TOPES and an IU Health ambulance crew were on the scene assisting.
Brown says no one was injured and the freezing temperatures did not hinder firefighters.
"I was surprised the cold temperatures didn't cause some freezing," Brown says. "Snow is always tough when you have to drag hoses through it. But we didn't have any problems."
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org