WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Firefighters Quick Response In 2012 Saved Property

Last updated on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

(MITCHELL) - Fire and explosions damaged Fibertech off Ind. 60 West in August.

Two loud explosions racked the building.

Traffic was congested on State Road 60, as volunteer firefighters from Marion Township, Huron, Shawswick and Mitchell battled the blaze.

Officers from Lawrence County Sheriff's Department assisted with traffic control and TOPES was on the scene to support firefighters with beverages and food.

Fibertech makes wooden pallets and boxes, used in storing and moving good and employs about 90 people.

Firefighters worked together to keep the fire from spreading to nearby large piles of wood chips and sawdust on the property.

The fire started in the western part of the building when a front-end loader caught on fire and exploded, causing the building to catch fire destroying it.

Heltonville Sawmill Fire

It took Pleasant Run, Shawswick, Marshall and Guthrie Volunteer firefighters about 45 minutes to contain a fire at a Heltonville sawmill in October.

Dwight Smith co-owns Smith-Smith Lumber with his brother Wendell. The sawmill is northeast of the Heltonville ball park. The burning pile was about 25 to 50 semitrailers of mulch.

In addition to the fire in the mulch pile, a small section of the mill building was burning.

Oolitic School Fire

In November Oolitic students began their fall break a day early after a fire started in the Middle School weight room.

Firefighters from Oolitic, Marshall and Shawswick Volunteer Fire Departments responded to a fire.

Students at the school practicing basketball and cheerleading had to be evacuated. Dollens Elementary School principal Kurt Godlevske and Oolitic Middle School principal Steve Underwood, along with North Lawrence School Superintendent Dr. Dennis Turner and Assistant Superintendent Gary Conner were at the school.

The fire was caused when a light fixture malfunctioned and caught the rubber matting in the weight room on fire filling the school with a heavy smoke and soot. No one was injured but some athletic equipment, such as uniforms, basketballs and volleyballs, were damaged.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page