Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, January 16, 2013
(BEDFORD) - Lawrence County Commissioner Bill Spreen was elected president of the commissioners Tuesday morning. Dave Flinn will serve as vice president.
County Highway Superintendent Dave Holmes told commissioners the county spent $80,629.77 on labor, fuel and material to remove three days of heavy snow off county roads.
That figure also includes the normal eight-hour day of the employees.
Holmes says after investigating about 20 complaints of mailboxes being knocked down during snow removal, the county will only pay for two that were actually knocked over by snow plows. Holmes says the rest fell from the weight of the heavy snow.
In other business:
* The commissioner received a 5 year status report from Project Manager Bob Dillon on bridge projects.
Dillon says there are several bridges in the county that need attention, a few of those are the bridge on Hunter Creek Road, one in Fort Ritner and Dunn Road bridge.
* Sheriff Sam Craig reported there were 124 inmates in the jail, 25 of those females and 10 Department of Correction holds. He also says security updates are continuing at the Courthouse.
* County Surveyor Mike Arena, asked the commissioners to sign the contract to provide the county with 30 Degree North - the counties complete and integrated server-based geographic information system.
* Darin Kinser told commissioner in January of this year President Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) FY 2013.
The defense bill has some important implications for civil liberties. Kinser wants the commissioners to pass an ordinance to not allow federal officials to enter the county and use marshal law to disarm citizens and take control of local law enforcement offices.
Commissioner Bill Spreen told Kinser he needed to do more research on the NDAA before he could make a decision.
* Lawrence County Economic Growth Council Executive Director Gene McCracken and board member Janie Craig Chenaultpresented the commissioners the group's 2012 annual report.
Emergency Management Valerie Luchauer gave the commissioners an update on the flooded road conditions and on the current 911 negotiations to develop a centralized 911 dispatch center.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page