Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Thursday, December 6, 2012
(BEDFORD) - Bedford firefighters were called to a home in the 2200 block of H Street Tuesday afternoon after the resident smelled the odor of gas.
Bedford Fire department Chief Jon Wagner says firefighters found a pilot light out on the kitchen stove.
But Wagner says anytime someone smells gas they should notify authorities.
"Vectren was on the scene and I can't thank them enough for the fast response.They have been great about getting to homes quickly," Wagner says. "This is a pretty routine thing in the fall, people start running their heaters and don't have them checked before the winter season and often times there are leaks around a seal."
Wagner says odors of gas can be a dangerous situation, especially if it goes unnoticed and the person is in an enclosed area and the gas accumulates.
He warns homeowners that when a pilot light does go out to always ventilate the area before striking a match.
"Sometimes you can get a little poof and you singe the hairs on your arms," Wagner says. "Always ventilate the area, if you are not sure how long the pilot light has been out. Turn on a fan, open a window get the air moving. If the odor is really strong, call us right away."
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page