WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Salem Man Loses Home To Fire

Last updated on Friday, December 28, 2012

(SALEM) - A Salem man who was living in a camper lost all his belongings and his dog in a fire Wednesday evening.

Salem Firefighter Matt Kidd says that the department was dispatched at 6:16 p.m. to the 1700 block of North Hitchcock Road.

They arrived to find a 12-foot by 8-foot pull behind type camper engulfed in flames.

Firefighters had the fire under control quickly.

The occupant, Randal Sill, had left the camper about 15 minutes earlier to walk to a relative's house.

Kidd added that was a good thing, cause the outcome could have been bad. The roof of the structure had caved in by the time firefighters arrived.

Sill's dog perished in the blaze and he lost all his belongings. He is currently staying with relatives.

Kidd says the fire is believed to have been electrical in nature and suspect it started with a space heater.

Firefighters were on the scene until 7:19 p.m.

Kidd asks residents to be very cautious if using space heaters and to be sure to read and follow manufacturer's instruction and to keep the heaters away from furniture and don't use extension cords.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page