WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Name of Man Who Died At Mitchell Home Released

Last updated on Sunday, December 23, 2012

(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Police Chief Mike Hardman in a press release says the man who was found not breathing at a home on Kelly Street was 46-year-old Gene J. Smith.

Smith was later pronounced death at IU Health Hospital.

Hardman says foul play is not suspected and Indiana State Police are investigating with the assistance of the Mitchell Police Department.

According to Mitchell Police Department dispatch logs, the department received a call at 3:31 p.m. Saturday, reporting a man came into a home on the 100 block of Kelly Street and passed out on the floor. The caller, Cody Taylor, told the dispatcher he did not believe the man was breathing According to police Taylor left the home before police arrived.

When police arrived at the home no one would answer the door and no one would answer the phone after repeated attempts.

Unable to make contact with the original caller, police quickly contacted the homeowner by telephone. She gave permission to make "forced entry" to the home.

Police and first responders entered the home and according to police logs, they did find a man not breathing.

According to police logs, Mitchell police then requested assistance from Lawrence County police and two officers from the Orleans Police Department also responded.

Two other Mitchell officers were alerted and asked to respond, but both were out of town. That is when Mitchell Police Chief Mike Hardman notified dispatch he was en route to the home.

According to police logs at 4 p.m.,Chief Hardman asked for a detective and technician from the Indiana State Police to come to the home on Kelly Street.

A Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department first responder at the home, reported to dispatch at 4:18 p.m. the man was being taken to the hospital by an IU Health ambulance.

Police requested an update on the man's condition and were told by IU Health Hospital personnel the man had died at 4:37 p.m.

Cody Taylor, who made the initial call to police, called police at 6:33 p.m. and spoke with police.

Then, at 7:29 p.m., a Mitchell police officer on the scene requested a wrecker to tow away a vehicle. It is unknown if the vehicle is connected to the death.

According to police logs, at 7:40 p.m., an unidentified female called the police station with "more information". Then at 8:40 p.m. Cody Taylor again called police, wanting to speak to an officer.

Later, at 10:24 p.m., the homeowner requested to speak to an officer investigating the case.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page