News Sections
Audio
Update: Greene County Man Dies In Mobile Home Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 1:10 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SOLSBERRY) - An Eastern Greene County man died early Sunday morning in a mobile home fire.

Nick Schneider of the Greene County Daily World reports that this is the first fatality for the Eastern Fire Department in more than 50 years of service.

Greene County Coroner Sherri Wilson is using dental records to confirm the man's identity. Pictures of dental X-rays were not clear, so she is awaiting the originals to make a positive identification.

Investigators suspect the victim is 45-year-old Kevin P. Ford, a roofer for Koontz Construction Co. who recently had moved into the mobile home.

Wilson said there were no signs of foul play or that the fire was suspicious in nature. An autopsy indicated the man died from smoke inhalation.

The fire at 13789 East Uland Court was reported at 4:59 a.m. When Eastern's first fire unit arrived on the scene the mobile home was fully engulfed.

Combs says the trailer's roof had almost completely collapsed prior to firefighters arrival.

Neighbors told Chief Combs that the tenant's vehicle was in the driveway, but they were unable to reach him on the phone.

Combs says because of the intensity of the fire and because the roof had collapsed firefighters were unable to make an interior search of the home.

Within 25 minutes, firefighters were able to get the fire under control and search the mobile home. Firefighters found the man deceased.

Eastern Fire Department along with Van Buren Township Fire Department (Monroe County), Center Township Fire Department (Greene County), Clay Township Fire Department (Owen County) and Greene County Ambulance Service were dispatched to the scene. There were on the scene until 12:05 p.m., to complete their preliminary investigation.

After the victim was located the State Fire Marshal's Office, Indiana State Police and Greene County Coroner's Office were contacted to assist Eastern Fire Department with the fire investigation.

Combs says, no firefighters were injured while battling the blaze.



« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to comments@wbiw.com

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW


1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2014 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   WBIW.com and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  About  |  Feedback