WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Firefighters Called After Chimney Catches Fire

Last updated on Tuesday, December 11, 2012

(BEDFORD) - Bedford Firefighters went to a home in the 200 block of White Lane after the homeowner called 911 at 11:05 p.m. reporting a chimney fire.

"When firefighters arrived the fire was out," says BFD Chief Jon Wagner. "They did a visual of the attic area and roof and made sure there was no fire."

Wagner added firefighters emptied the hot coals out of the wood stove and used a chimney flare to extinguish any fire in the flue.

"The flare was a precaution," Wagner says. "The flare depletes any oxygen in the chimney extinguishing any fire."

The department also gave the homeowner two smoke detectors.

"We cannot stress the importance of smoke detectors and we are seeing more and more homeowners without them," Wagner says. "Smoke detectors save lives and are just so important to have."

Wagner ask that residents check their flues before starting a fire and clean them regularly.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page