News Sections
Firefighters Called After Chimney Catches Fire
Updated May 5, 2013 1:10 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - Bedford Firefighters went to a home in the 200 block of White Lane after the homeowner called 911 at 11:05 p.m. reporting a chimney fire.

"When firefighters arrived the fire was out," says BFD Chief Jon Wagner. "They did a visual of the attic area and roof and made sure there was no fire."

Wagner added firefighters emptied the hot coals out of the wood stove and used a chimney flare to extinguish any fire in the flue.

"The flare was a precaution," Wagner says. "The flare depletes any oxygen in the chimney extinguishing any fire."

The department also gave the homeowner two smoke detectors.

"We cannot stress the importance of smoke detectors and we are seeing more and more homeowners without them," Wagner says. "Smoke detectors save lives and are just so important to have."

Wagner ask that residents check their flues before starting a fire and clean them regularly.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File