(BEDFORD) The new Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence County has received a challenge gift from an anonymous donor for $500,000.
According to a press release, the donor is quoted as saying "I feel privileged to be able to issue a challenge donation of $250,000 to kick off the campaign for the new combined clubs. I have watched the progress of the new organization and I'm impressed with the new board of directors and the plans they have to build a solid foundation. I believe in the mission of the club and also believe they provide Lawrence County with an invaluable service. Our community needs a strong Boys and Girls Club and we all need to do our part. Once the community has helped the campaign reach $2 million I will donate the rest of the gift to complete it."
Bedford Federal Savings Bank had already issued a challenge-donation of $125,000 to the club, so that every $1 donated to the campaign by the public will now generate $3 to the new organization.
The Boys and Girls Club resource development committee has started a three-pronged campaign to ensure the future of the organization. The first part of the campaign is to retire the debt of the former clubs. Combined the clubs have $820,000 in debt. The second part of the campaign is to develop an endowment of $1 million to help keep the club sustainable for the future. The third part of the campaign is to raise operating expenses for the club. The overall goal of this campaign is $2.3 million.
Donor opportunities include:
* $50,000 or greater: Pillar of the Community
* $25,000 or greater: Bench of Progress
* $10,000 or greater: 24-by-33-inch limestone engraved block
* $5,000 or greater: 21-by-33-inch limestone engraved block
* $2,500 or greater: 17-by-24-inch limestone engraved block
* $1,000 or greater: 12-by-16-inch limestone engraved block
* $500 or greater: Eight-by-eight-inch limestone engraved block
* $250 or greater: Four-by-eight-inch engraved brick
* $100 or greater: Supporters of the Club
* $50: Friends of the Club
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org