News Sections
Five Volunteer Fire Department Battle Blaze On Greer Lane
Updated May 5, 2013 1:09 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(SPRINGVILLE) - Firefighters from five volunteer fire departments battled a blaze in a garage at 424 Greer Lane Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters from Perry Township, Indian Creek, Oolitic, Marshall and Shawswick Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the fire just after 2 p.m.

The metal pole barn is owned by Joe and Susan Ginter.

According to Indian Creek Training Officer Levi Keith, Joe was working on a log skidder when it malfunctioned and started the blaze.

Ginter processes logs in the building.

"We were on the scene within 11 minutes of the call and were able to get it under control quickly," Keith says. "There were a lot of hot spots we had to chase, but it didn't take us long to get the fire out."

Keith says the building and several pieces of equipment were destroyed.

According to Shawswick firefighter Luke Kluender the departments responded with full tankers, but water did have to be shuttled to the scene.

"Most of the hydrants in the county are flush hydrants and can't be used to put out a fire," Kluender says. "That is why we shuttle water. Shuttling water is a common practice."

Kluender was shuttling water from Springville school.

"It is worth the long run to go get water from a good hydrant, cause firefighters can fill their tankers faster," Kluender says.

Firefighters were on the scene for about 3 hours.

Also assisting was an IU Health ambulance crew and TOPES.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File