WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Firefighters Find Propane Leak

Last updated on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

(JUDAH) - Marshall Township Volunteer Firefighters went to a home in the 100 block of Sasser Drive Monday after a neighbor reported a gas leak.

"The leak was in the tubing from the LP tank to the home," says Marshall Volunteer Fire Chief Chad Hayes. "It was dispersing rapidly, but at the leak the levels were at an explosive level."

Firefighters turned off the tank and crimped the line.

"The home was vacant and being renovated," Hayes says. "This could have been a dangerous situation if the gas was allowed to collect in an area."

Hayes asks residents to periodically check their gas lines.

"In its natural form propane is colorless and odor less," Hayes says. "Manufacturers add a chemical compound to give it a strong unpleasant odor."

Hayes says never to ignore the odor of propane.

"Treat it as an emergency and act by calling the fire department," Hayes says. "Firefighters will check out the situation and then notify the needed utility company."

If you do smell propane:

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page