News Sections
Firefighters Find Propane Leak
Updated May 5, 2013 1:10 AM
 Print    Archive    RSS

(JUDAH) - Marshall Township Volunteer Firefighters went to a home in the 100 block of Sasser Drive Monday after a neighbor reported a gas leak.

"The leak was in the tubing from the LP tank to the home," says Marshall Volunteer Fire Chief Chad Hayes. "It was dispersing rapidly, but at the leak the levels were at an explosive level."

Firefighters turned off the tank and crimped the line.

"The home was vacant and being renovated," Hayes says. "This could have been a dangerous situation if the gas was allowed to collect in an area."

Hayes asks residents to periodically check their gas lines.

"In its natural form propane is colorless and odor less," Hayes says. "Manufacturers add a chemical compound to give it a strong unpleasant odor."

Hayes says never to ignore the odor of propane.

"Treat it as an emergency and act by calling the fire department," Hayes says. "Firefighters will check out the situation and then notify the needed utility company."

If you do smell propane:

  • Don't smoke or have an open flame. Immediately extinguish all smoking materials and don't operate lights, appliances, telephones or cell phones. They can all trigger a spark and cause an explosion.
  • Leave the area.
  • If possible shut off the gas.
  • Report the leak.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File