Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Saturday, November 3, 2012
(WASHINGTON) - An unattached garage at 303 Mill St. that burned on Halloween evening is a total loss, according to Washington Fire Chief David Rhoads.
Andrea McCann, of the Times Herald, City dispatchers received the 911 call reporting the fire at 6:02 p.m., and firefighters from both stations -- as well as nine off-duty firefighters -- were on the scene until 7:36 p.m. The garage was fully engulfed when they arrived, Rhoads said.
"There was a vehicle inside, but it had not been operational," he added. Heat from the garage blaze also melted siding on the southwest corner of the adjacent residence. The property is owned by Joshua Dean of Jasonville and rented by Beth and Norbert Kay Jr., according to the chief.
"The house next door to the garage, at 305 (Mill St.) had minor damage, too," Rhoads said.
In addition, he said the fire caused a power outage that required a city line crew to repair.
At 2:22 a.m. Thursday, a neighbor reported the blaze had rekindled, and firefighters were on the scene again until 2:52 a.m.
Rhoads said, at present, nothing about the fire appears suspicious in nature and he believes it was accidental. However, it's still under investigation, with interviews continuing to be conducted.
"It's undetermined until we talk to more people," Rhoads said.
Washington Police officers assisted with traffic control at the scene, and Southwest Medical personnel were on hand in case of injuries.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page