Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, November 28, 2012
(BEDFORD) - A blaze caused extensive damage to a home at 429 J Street Tuesday night.
According to Bedford Fire Department Battalion Chief Steve Haverly, heavy smoke and flames were shooting out of the house when firefighters arrived.
"We put out two attack lines and a supply hose from the hydrant and attacked the blaze from the outside," Haverly says. "Once we got it under control we went inside to get the rest knocked down."
Haverly says the fire started in a bedroom on the south side of the house, came out the bedroom window and traveled along the eves of the home.
Robert Root says he had just sat down to watch the basketball game when he heard a loud pop.
"I had just went into my grandson's (Aaron Lindsey) room to turn on his little space heater and sat down to watch the game," Roots says. "I heard the pop and looked toward the kitchen and saw the smoke."
There were no smoke detectors in the home.
"It hadn't been two or three minutes since I had went into the room," Root says. "I then went to Aaron's room and saw flames climbing up the south and east sides of the bedroom walls and there was lots of smoke."
Root then got his grandson's dog and got out of the house and called 911.
"The dog didn't want to come out of the house," Root says. "I called and called, but I finally got him out. That is when I realized I left the car keys in the house. I wanted to move the car, so I went back in," Root says " The smoke was so thick. I have COPD and had to stop a few times before I got out of the house."
Root was given oxygen at the scene.
Lindsey arrived a short time later, he was in class at IU when he heard about the fire.
BFD Investigator David Wright who is investigating the fire, will back on the scene Wednesday morning.
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page