Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Tuesday, October 30, 2012
(MITCHELL) - Mitchell Volunteer Firefighter battled a blaze on Rabbitsville Road Monday morning.
Firefighters were alerted to the blaze after drivers passing the house noticed smoke coming from the attic area of the Wedgewood residence.
Mitchell VFD Chief Tyler Duncan says the fire was contained to the attic and roof area.
"The winds were fueling the fire, but we were able to get it contained quickly," Duncan says. "The fire started with a dead short in the attic area, which set the rafters on fire."
Duncan says firefighters rescued several of the family's pets and all were doing well.
"I believe a lot of their belongings can be salvaged," Duncan said. "There was water damage to three of the rooms and a little smoke in the home but we were able to ventilate the smoke out."
Duncan says the family is staying with relatives.
"They will not be able to stay there for a while," he added. "They will have to have electrical work done and the area damaged by the fire repaired and of course the rooms that suffered water damage. But I believe they will be able to salvage their home."
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page