Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, October 24, 2012
(BEDFORD) - The Lawrence County Commissioners Tuesday morning approved County Recorder Jessica Allen to spend around $34,500 of her budget to scan approximately 183,000 images from microfilm to their county computer system.
The system currently holds documents from 1994 to the present, but Allen says she would like to have at least 30 years of abstracts and documents available to the public.
So documents from 1980 to 1994 will now be scanned into the computer system.
"This way the public doesn't have to dig through the books or microfilm looking for documents," Allen told the commissioners.
The recorder's office preserves many of the community's most important records, ranging from title to real estate property, home mortgages and neighborhood covenants to business names and military discharge documents.
The recorder is a member of the county commission on public records, which has authority over the preservation or disposition of all public records maintained by the county.
In other business:
* The commissioners voted to vacate a portion of an unimproved alley so the East Oolitic Church can build a fellowship hall. The alley is between lots 40 and 41.
* The commissioners approved the budget for several grants for the Lawrence County Health Department. The County Council also approved the budgets Tuesday night.
* The commissioners heard a presentation from ProLiance Energy about a proposal to save on possible heating costs.
* The commissioners will update their contract with their wireless internet provider. This will limit the use of employees using their private laptop computers on the county's WIFI service.
* Sherriff Sam Craig reported there was 116 inmates in the jail, 6 of those were Department of Correction inmates, 21 are women. He told the commissions asbestos removal is being done at the former courthouse annex.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page