WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Power Outage Spurs Fire In Hospital Basement

Last updated on Thursday, September 27, 2012

(LINTON) - An apparent lightning strike overloaded a blower in the Greene County General Hospital ventilation system, starting a small blaze which was quickly extinguished, Tuesday night.

Mark Stalcup of the Greene County Daily World reports that the small fire, according to Linton Fire Chief Brad Sparks, broke out just before 5 p.m. in the basement, causing a brief power outage.

The fire started in the motor on an air handler that caught fire. Hospital staff had the fire out before the fire department arrived, but the small left the basement area smoky.

Sparks says the cause of the smoke was from an electrical fire when the motor malfunctioned.

According to hospital personnel, the motor was replaced and no one was hurt and no patients were affected.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page