News Sections
Firefighters Find Home Filled With Smoke
Updated May 5, 2013 1:09 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BEDFORD) - When Shawswick Volunteer firefighters arrived at the home of Holly Sykes they found the house filled with a light haze of smoke.

Firefighters from Shawswick, Guthrie and Marion Township went to the home in the 800 block of Trinton Circle, Monday morning.

According to Shawswick VFD Safety Officer Terry Pemberton firefighters found an outlet in the Bedford over-loaded with electrical cords.

"We killed the power," Pemberton added. "And removed all the electronics from the room. We also found a cigarette burn in the mattress."

Firefighters then vented the home with fans.

"There was very minor smoke damage," Pemberton says. "But, there were no smoke detectors in the home. I can't stress enough the importance of having smoke detectors. This could have been a lot worse. The homeowners could have been sleeping and overcome by the smoke and without smoke detectors to wake them they out come could have been fatal."

Pemberton says resident should have smoke detectors and check them regularly to make sure the batteries and smoke detectors are operating properly.

"Smoke detectors save lives," Pemberton says.

Firefighters were on the scene less than two hours.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File