(SHOALS) - After the death of their son Waylan Able, members of his family are attempting to get the word out about the deadly virus that killed him.
On July 15th, 30 year old Waylon Abel went swimming in West Boggs Lake just north of Loogootee, less than a month later, he died.
An autopsy revealed Abel died from primary amebic Meningoencephalitis, an extremely rare brain eating parasite. The Centers for Disease Control confirmed the cause of death.
The parasite lives in fresh, warm water and enters the body through the nose or ears and travels to the brain.
According to the CDC, this is only the third case this year nationwide.
Now family and friends are trying to get local health officials to get the word out about the deadly parasite.
At Tuesday night's Martin County health meeting the family pleaded with officials to warn others in the community about the dangers.
John Able, Waylan's father says, officials are putting out information, but they are not telling people the parasite will kill people.
Martin County health officials say they're continuing to gather as much information as possible.
Health officials did attend Tuesday's West Boggs Lake board meeting.
There the board says they will work with the family to put up signs and educate people who visit the lake.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org