WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Blaze At Washington Apartments Leaves Five Families Homeless

Last updated on Wednesday, September 5, 2012

(WASHINGTON) - A blaze Saturday night caused extensive damage to an apartment building in the 100 block of East Main Street in Washington.

The apartments are located in the Sums Block Building that houses Leo's Lock Shop and two empty storefronts on the lower level.

When police arrived, they evacuated patrons of the Antique Bar located on the west end of the block.

Power was disconnected to several businesses and apartments in the area. According to the police report, there were at least two people treated for minor injuries.

Although Fire Department officials have not released an official report, it appears that the three upstairs apartments had extensive damage.

The amount of water and smoke damage to the lower level store fronts is currently unknown.

Firefighters say at least five people were left homeless because of the blaze.

Rod Wright, the owner of Leo's Lock Shop passed away in December of 2011. The Wright family had scheduled an auction of the building for September 27.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page