News Sections
Blaze At Washington Apartments Leaves Five Families Homeless
Updated May 5, 2013 1:08 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(WASHINGTON) - A blaze Saturday night caused extensive damage to an apartment building in the 100 block of East Main Street in Washington.

The apartments are located in the Sums Block Building that houses Leo's Lock Shop and two empty storefronts on the lower level.

When police arrived, they evacuated patrons of the Antique Bar located on the west end of the block.

Power was disconnected to several businesses and apartments in the area. According to the police report, there were at least two people treated for minor injuries.

Although Fire Department officials have not released an official report, it appears that the three upstairs apartments had extensive damage.

The amount of water and smoke damage to the lower level store fronts is currently unknown.

Firefighters say at least five people were left homeless because of the blaze.

Rod Wright, the owner of Leo's Lock Shop passed away in December of 2011. The Wright family had scheduled an auction of the building for September 27.

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File