WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Linton Man Arrested After Falling Asleep During Stand-Off, Children Safely Rescued

Last updated on Saturday, August 11, 2012

(LINTON) - Ian Long, of Linton, was arrested around 1 p.m., after a nearly nine-hour standoff with police that began at about 3:25 a.m.

"The situation ended with no shots fired with no injuries," says Indiana State Police Public Information Officer Curt Durnil, from the Bloomington Post.

Long who is believed to be a military veteran, and who recently moved from Sparta, Wis., reportedly suffers from post traumatic stress syndrome.

The situation allegedly stemmed from an altercation between Long and another man early Friday morning in Linton.

When police first arrived at the home at 79 South East 3rd Street, the American Flag was flying upside down, which signals a sign of distress.

The Indiana State Police Tactical SWAT team arrived about 8 a.m. and set up a perimeter of heavily armed officers.

"When Linton police department officers came to Ian Long's residence to speak to him about it, he refused to speak to officers. That chain of events started sometime in the 3 a.m. hour," Durnil says. "Of the three kids that were in the residence, a 10-year-old male was sent out to give police a two-way radio during the 6 a.m. hour. Officers were able to secure that boy and would not allow him to return to the house."

Durnil says officers heard shots fired inside the residence about 7 a.m.

"The remaining two children came out of the house safely just after 11 a.m." Durnil reported.

Two children were safety released at about 11 a.m.

Officers were able to enter the home after Long fell asleep. Long was arrested and on a Greene County warrant for intimidation.

The investigation surrounding today's events will be completed and sent to the Greene County Prosecutor for his review of any further charges.

After Long was taken into custody, officers removed one firearm from the home. That
firearm will remain in police custody by court order under the terms of the "Jake Laird Law." This law, enacted in 2006 after the shooting of Indianapolis Police Officer Jake Laird, allows officers to immediately seize firearms from emotionally unstable and or violent individuals and, with court approval and retain the firearms until further order of responsible court.

The situation apparently started when police went to Long's residence to talk to him about criminal mischief and intimidation concerning a tire-slashing incident that allegedly happened near the rear entrance to the Greene County Daily World newspaper.

Linton Police Officer Brock Garrison was called to the scene to investigate the complaint.

Jerry D. Carmichael told police that he was waiting for an employee to get off of work. Carmichael allegedly noticed a male, he later recognized as Long, walking toward him.

Long allegedly was having trouble keeping his balance and Carmichael thought he was intoxicated, according to the probable cause affidavit filed with the court.

Carmichael stepped out of his van and offered Long, who had blood on his face, a ride home.

At that point, Long became confrontational, Garrison wrote in the probable cause affidavit.

Long allegedly began to yell and cursed at Carmichael before shoving him.

Long then allegedly pulled a black-handle knife out of sheath fastened to his waist and stated, "I am going to .... kill you."

Carmichael then retreated to the newspaper office, where an employee called the police.

Carmichael said he saw Long rise up from the front driver's side of the van and walk away toward 1st Street SE.

Police then learned from Carmichael that Long allegedly had slashed the tires to the van, owned by Jennifer L. Padgett.

Aside from ISP, a large contingent of law enforcement officers from multiple agencies including Linton, Worthington, Bloomfield, and Jasonville Police Departments and the Greene County Sheriff's Department.

Ian E Long.jpg

linton standoff.jpg

Greene County Sheriff's Department Major Mike Hasler tries to get a view through binoculars of the house in Linton where a man took his children hostage Friday morning. GCSD Det. George Dallaire takes aim at the house and Worthington Town Marshal Don Richardson looks on. (Credit: Nick Schneider - Greene County Daily World)

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page