WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Mother And Son Recovering After Aerosol Can Explodes In Fire

Last updated on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

(PEKIN) - The two people burned in a trash fire last week are recovering.

Stephanie Taylor Ferriell of the Leader-Democrate reports that Linda Dotson and her 17-year-old son, Alex Dotson, were burning trash at their home, 374 S. Gobbler Knob Rd., Pekin, the evening of Aug. 7. She said the evening was supposed to be a fun time. Alex was having a friend over and she planned to grill out for them.

Linda said her son noticed a bag of trash lying in the yard - neither knew where it came from. Alex grabbed the bag and tossed it on the fire.

Moments later, an aerosol can inside that bag exploded, sending a fireball into the air. "I was under the fire, crawling backward, trying to get to my son," Linda recalled. "I didn't even know I was burned." Linda said her only thought was getting help for Alex, who was badly burned. She ran to get her car keys, but when she looked at her arm and saw the skin falling off, she realized she was too injured to drive.

She called 911 and Alex was transported by air ambulance to University of Louisville Hospital. Linda said he has burns over 30 percent of his body. They range from first to third-degree. Alex was released from U of L Saturday. Linda said doctors were amazed at how well he's done. "He's a trooper," she said.

However, a full recovery for the teen is expected to take between one and two years.

Linda sustained third-degree burns on her left arm. She was taken by ambulance to U of L and is recovering.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page