News Sections
Long Remains Behind Bars After Stand-Off, Bail Increased
Updated May 5, 2013 1:08 AM | Filed under: WBIW News
 Print    Archive    RSS

(BLOOMFIELD) - The man at the center of last week's police standoff in Linton remains behind bars.

On Friday, 38-year old Ian Long barricaded himself - and his three children - inside his home when police came to investigate an earlier altercation.

After hours of negotiations, officers were able to get inside and arrest long on a warrant for intimidation and criminal mischief.

Indiana State Police and other law enforcement agencies are still investigating and gathering evidence in the stand-off incident.

As of mid-day Monday, additional charges against Long had not yet been filed.
However, Superior Court Judge Dena Martin did order that Long's bond be substantially increased.

Long is currently being held on $225,000 bond. The judge specified that he will not be allowed to post 10 percent of that amount and it would have to be paid in full in cash only.

Long allegedly barricaded himself in his SE 3rd St. home early Friday with his three children and refused to exit the house when officers arrived to serve an arrest warrant stemming from another incident earlier that same morning.

This resulted in a stand-off that lasted several hours before ending peacefully with no injuries to Long, his children, or to the numerous officers on the scene.

ISP Sgt. Curt Durnil says officers went to Long's home to serve a warrant for his arrest after Long was involved in an altercation earlier in downtown Linton where both Long and another individual suffered knife wounds during a fight.

When officers arrived, Long refused to cooperate with officers and barricaded himself inside his home along with his three children, 10, 12 and 14-years-old.

Just after 6 a.m., Long sent his youngest children out of the home with a two-way radio to communicate with officers. Officers did not allow the child to re-enter the home and the child was released to another family member.

"During the seven o'clock hour while negotiations were taking place, officers heard two shots fired within the residence," according to Durnil. "Officers did not return fire as it was unknown where the shots were placed. The standoff continued and just after 11 a.m. the other two children left the residence without incident.

"Police continued to attempt to negotiate with the suspect until just after 1 p.m. when Indiana State Police Emergency Response officers made entry into the home after the suspect had fallen asleep."

Long was taken into custody after he allegedly fell asleep and arrested on the warrant.
Durnil said the results of the investigation will be forwarded to Greene County Prosecutor Jarrod Holtsclaw to review.

This isn't long's first run-in with the law - he has two cases pending in the Greene County from earlier this summer for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, intimidation and battery by body waste on law enforcement.

Ian E Long.jpg

« Previous Article
Next Article »

 Print    Archive    RSS

Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to

Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW
Find more about Weather in Bedford, IN
Advertise with 1340 AM WBIW

1340 AM WBIW, Bedford's Place To Talk. Serving Lawrence and surrounding counties since 1948!

© 2018 Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved. and Listen Live Powered by HPC

Advertise  |  Careers  |  Contests  |  About  |  Feedback  |  Public File