(SEYMOUR) - A fire Sunday evening left a rural Seymour family without their home.
Aubrey Woods of the Tribune reports that Mike and Cheryl Vierling lived in a two-story brick colonial style home at 11214 E. Sycamore St. with an adult son; they all escaped unharmed with their pets.
64-year-old Mike Vierling says the fire started just after midnight.
Vierling told firefighters he was watching television around 8 p.m. Sunday when he heard his wife yelling for him.
She was outside walking the dog after she yelled Mike went outside discovered his wife was yelling "fire."
He said he then looked up and the whole ridge line of the roof was on fire.
He told his son, John, who was getting ready to go to work, to get out of the house.
Mike then grabbed the families two dogs and took them outside.
Redding Township volunteers responded to the fire and were assisted by firefighters from Jackson-Washington and Hamilton township fire departments.
Vierling had nothing but praise for their efforts and credits firefighters for saving some of their belongings. Firefighters entered the burning home and carried items out for the family.
Vierling said he believes the fire was likely electrical in nature.
The local chapter of the American Red Cross also showed up Sunday night to offer help to the Vierlings.
Vierling said he and his wife moved to the home, located east of U.S. 31 halfway between Seymour and Reddington, about 20 years ago.
On Monday morning, family members and friends gathered at the residence to help the Vierlings salvage what they could from the home. The vierlings plan to rebuild.
Firefighters were on the scene until about 2 a.m. checking for hot spots, but the fire rekindled at 5:08 a.m. Firefighters returned to extinguish the fire.
Photo credit: Aubrey Woods of the Tribune
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org