(BEDFORD) - Signs of new and expanding business activity are evident throughout Bedford.
Bob Bridge of the Times-Mail reports that Heltonville's Darin McCullough purchased the old pallet plant on 2030 John Williams Blvd. in June. He's been refurbishing the structure and plans to add an office just east of the building.
Meanwhile, officials with Dunham Sports estimate they are approximately halfway finished with renovation of the former Buehler's market north of Kmart. The company hopes to open for business sometime in August.
Also on the list of activities:
* Brian and Lacy Hawkins are transforming the building at 1020 16th St. into a bookstore titled Inklings.
* Denny's Restaurants is beginning construction of its new eatery next to Steak 'n Shake on James Avenue.
* GM Powertrain is renovating 12,000 square feet of its property to utilize for its expansion project.
* Jerry Ford is redesigning a portion of the W.F. Meyers building at 1017 14th St. to use for his new health-care service, Safe at Home.
* Hoosier Uplands is finalizing plans for renovation of the old Stalker School into an apartment complex. The organization also is looking into renovating a former furniture store at the corner 16th and K streets into apartments.
* Scott Smith of Olde Downtown Tavern recently completed work on an outdoor patio area.
* Richard Dennessy, owner of the Moses Fell Building on 16th Street, is undertaking repairs to the upstairs portion of the structure.
* Horne Development is renovating facades on Sally's, Radio Shack and the military recruiting offices at Williams Crossing.
* Ronnie Ryan is constructing a duplex in the 2500 block of Q Street.
* The Bedford Urban Enterprise Association's board of directors is considering repairs to the old JC Penney building on 15th Street. The property, which served as the Downtown Convention Center and more recently as Johnathan's Gym, is for sale.
* The Lawrence County Museum is looking into landscaping the parking lot behind its facility.
* H&H Medical is preparing for construction of a new medical building at 2523 Shawnee Drive.
* Tomcat Pawn has added a new building to its property along Mitchell Road.
* Paul Bender is redesigning the southern portion of his facility at 3120 Brock Lane to use as an exercise/training facility.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org