WBIW.com News - local

Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana

Fire At Ted Jones Apartment Started By Lightning

Last updated on Monday, July 2, 2012

(BEDFORD) - The Bedford Fire Department extinguished a fire in the attic area of the apartments at 2903 Ted Jones Drive, Sunday night

According to Bedford Fire Department Chief Jon Wagner, the fire started after lightning hit the dryer vents that ran vertical to the ridge vent.

"The fire was in the attic area," Wagner says. "They removed some dry wall and were able to put out the fire quickly. Fires like this in an apartment complex can be very serious. We were fortunate."

There are 8 apartments in each building, Wagner says.

"No one was displaced because of the fire," he added.

At the same time, firefighters were called to power lines arching in the 100 block of 20th Street.

"We had a tree down in the power lines," Wagner says. "We scrambled the troops and were able to get everything taken care of quickly."

Duke Energy was called to repair the lines.

1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at comments@wbiw.com

© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Click here to go back to previous page