(REDDINGTON) - A rural Seymour woman lost her home and several dogs to a fire Tuesday afternoon, police report.
Aubrey Woods, of the Tribune reports, no one was injured in the fire reported at the home Georgia Perry shares with her son, Devon Dunn, at 7518 N. County Road 1200 East, Jackson County Sheriff's Department Detective Bob Lucas said.
The fire was reported at 2:12 p.m. by Matt Snodgrass, who lives in the area.
Snodgrass said he was driving south on County Road 1200 East when he saw smoke and flames coming from the north side of the two-story, wood-frame home.
"I stopped and went up and knocked on the door to make sure no one was inside," Snodgrass said. Snodgrass said the door was cold because he checked before trying to open it.
He said once he got the door open, the house was full of smoke.
"I closed the door to cut off the oxygen," Snodgrass said.
Dunn, 16, said he and his mom, who is 39, had left the house about 30 minutes earlier to visit someone just a short distance away and returned home to find the house on fire.
Redding Township voluteer firefighters responded and were assisted by firefighters from Hamilton Township Fire Department.
Jackson County Ambulance Service personnel also responded to the scene, although no one was injured.
Lucas said Perry told him the fire may have started in the area of a window air conditioner.
The dogs killed by the fire were inside the residence when it started.
Have a question or comment about a news story? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org