Brought to you by WBIW News and Network Indiana
Last updated on Wednesday, July 11, 2012
(BROWNSTOWN) - A 30-year-old Brownstown man was hospitalized Sunday after he was burned in a grease fire.
"They tell me his right arm is critically burned," Darrell Crockett said of his son, Derek J. Crockett.
Aubrey Woods of the Tribune reports that the younger Crockett was burned when a skillet of grease caught fire and he attempted to extinguish it at a residence he shares with his girlfriend and her son at 318 S. Sugar St., Darrell Crockett said.
The girlfriend, Amanda Davidson, and her son were not injured in the fire, reported around 9:15 p.m. Sunday.
Crockett said his son first used a fire extinguisher on the fire, and then after mak¬ing sure his girlfriend and her son were safe, went back and tried to carry the pan outside to limit damage.
"It just blew up on him," Crockett said.
Crockett said his son was first taken to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour and then trans¬ferred to University of Louisville Hospital's burn unit.
He said his son's injuries do not appear to be life threatening, but he is in a lot of pain.
Darrell Crockett credited Brownstown Police Officer John Reichen¬backer for his quick response to the fire and the attention he gave to his son.
"His girlfriend saw John and started screaming, and Derek fell down in the grass outside from exhaustion," Darrell Crockett said.
Reichenbacker helped keep the younger Crockett alert and sitting up until an ambulance arrived, Darrell Crockett said.
Brownstown Fire Chief Eric Browalski said that although fire damage was limited to the kitchen and an adjacent utility room at the back of the residence, the damage was extensive.
"There was heavy smoke damage throughout the house," Browalski said.
Firefighters were on the scene for more than three hours.
1340 AM WBIW welcomes comments and suggestions by calling 812.277.1340 during normal business hours or by email at email@example.com
© Ad-Venture Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Click here to go back to previous page